I love the idea of mug cakes because sometimes I just want ONE single slice of cake without having to make a whole cake. So, Berry Dark Chocolate Mug Cake was created for all my friends that think like me!
This recipe is meant to be really easy to make and only takes 2 minutes in the microwave. I decided to add some frozen berries at the bottom of the mug to create a sweet and tart sauce. It pairs really well with the dark chocolate cake 🙂
Also, this recipe does not include milk, but you could substitute the water for milk if you’d like! I decided to use water because I am slightly lactose intolerant and the mug cake texture is still really moist and almost fudgy!
What you’ll need:
- all purpose flour
- melted butter
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- dark chocolate chips
- frozen berries
How to make Berry Dark Chocolate Mug Cake:
- First, grease the inside of a microwave-safe mug using some butter or baking spray.
- Add 1/4 cup of frozen berries, 2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp flour to the bottom of the mug. Using a spoon, mix the ingredients together. Microwave the berries for 30 seconds.
- Adding a bit of flour to the berries helps thicken up the berry sauce. Alternatively, you can use 2 tsp of cornstarch for a thicker sauce consistency.
- Now, in a separate bowl, add the all purpose flour, water, melted butter, sugar, water, cocoa powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt. Stir to mix well, making sure to eliminate any lumps.
- Add the dark chocolate chips to the batter and mix to combine.
- I like to add the chocolate chips last, I find that this prevents any flour pockets from forming.
- Pour the batter into the mug, directly on top of the berry sauce. Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Enjoy with a dusting of powdered sugar or treat your self to a heaping scoop of whipped cream, you’ve earned it 🙂
Berry Dark Chocolate Mug Cake
Dark Chocolate Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup frozen berries
- ½ tsp all purpose flour or cornstarch
- 2 tsp sugar
- First, grease the inside of a microwave-safe mug with butter or baking spray.
- Add ¼ cup of frozen berries, 2 tsp sugar, and ½ tsp flour to the bottom of the mug. Using a spoon, mix the ingredients to combine. Microwave the berry mixture for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, water, melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Use a spoon to mix well until combined.
- Add the dark chocolate chips to the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour the cake batter into the mug, directly on top of the berry sauce. Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Enjoy the mug cake with a dusting of powdered sugar or a scoop of whipped cream 🙂