Banana bread is so cozy, warm, and the perfect way to use up overripe bananas. This banana bread recipe combines the extra depth of flavor you get from the caramelized milk solids in the brown butter and sweetness from chocolate chips. Hope you enjoy this version of banana bread as much as I do!
Making brown butter
Making brown butter is pretty simple – melt some butter on low heat and let it simmer. You will see two things happening, the milk solids start to caramelize and sink to the bottom and the water in the butter is being cooked out, leaving a more concentrated butter flavor.
There are many ways to use brown butter. You can use it when you make cookies, in quick bread recipes, in frostings, and so much more. You can read more about brown butter and how to use it here.
What you’ll need for Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bread:
- very ripe bananas
- The riper the better! Alternatively, you can use frozen bananas, just make sure to thaw them to room temperature and get rid of any excess water.
- this recipe uses white sugar, but feel free to swap it out for brown sugar!
- brown butter
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
How to make brown butter chocolate chip banana bread:
- First, preheat the oven at 350ºF.Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl using a fork, potato masher, or even an electric mixer.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Using a whisk, stir to mix well.
- Add the all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Add the brown butter to the batter and gently stir to combine well.
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, depending on your oven. Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread, the bread is ready if the toothpick comes out clean.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup brown butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas using a fork or potato masher. Add the egg, sugar, and vanilla extract. Using a whisk, mix well to combine.
- Add the all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and whisk to combine. Make sure all any dry ingredients are mixed well, any banana lumps are okay.
- Slowly pour the brown butter to the batter and mix well. Add the chocolate chips, stir to combine.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, depending on your oven. To check doneness of the bread, insert a toothpick in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, it should be done! Enjoy!