This cheesy jalapeno corn casserole is a creamy, cheesy side dish with a little heat! It’s a true crowd-pleaser and the perfect dish for the holidays!
Every year, my mom makes the best jalapeno corn casserole for Thanksgiving. It has become one of our family’s favorite side dishes! She usually makes 2 big baking pans— one spicy version with jalapenos and one without, for those who can’t handle the heat. The spicy one is always everyone’s favorite and the first one to run out first.
This recipe was as closest as I could get to my mom’s version because lets be honest — moms don’t really use exact measurements. At least my mom doesn’t 😅
What you’ll need to make Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Casserole:
- Cream-style corn: I use canned cream-style corn, this adds the perfect amount of creaminess and moisture to the casserole.
- Whole-kernel corn: I use canned whole-kernel corn because corn isn’t in season right now, but feel free to use fresh corn if you have some on hand!
- Jiffy corn muffin mix: Corn muffin mix helps bind the casserole together and gives it more body because this version is more creamy and rich.
- Unsalted butter: I used unsalted since all the shredded cheese adds enough saltiness for me, but I can’t imagine it behind a huge difference if you only have salted butter at home. This recipe doesn’t use too much butter, so any kind should work!
- Onion: diced onions add another layer of sweetness that you can’t get from corn and a little crunchy bite!
- Jalapeno peppers: this recipe uses 1-2 jalapeno peppers, but you can adjust the amount depending on how spicy you like it.
- Egg: this is another binding agent that helps bring together the whole dish and keeps it from being too runny.
- Shredded cheese: when it comes to cheese, the choice is yours! I like to use a mix of sharp cheddar and mozzarella.
How to make Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Casserole:
This side dish is so simple and easy to put together, making it the best dish to prep ahead and bake the day of!
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with cubed butter and extra shredded cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes cover with aluminum foil and then bake uncovered for the remaining 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy while warm for that amazing cheese pull 🙂
Watch how to make this recipe
More Favorite Side Dishes
If you enjoyed this Cheese Jalapeno Corn Casserole, try one of these delicious side dishes next!
- 2- 15 oz cans of cream-style corn
- 1- 15 oz can of whole-kernel corn
- 1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 (or 2) jalapeno pepper(s), finely diced
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 8"x12" baking by greasing it with oil or melted butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream-style corn, whole-kernel corn, Jiffy corn muffin mix, diced onion, diced jalapeno peppers, egg, and shredded cheese. Mix just until combined.
- Pour the casserole mixture into the baking dish.
- Cube the butter into small pieces and layer them on top of the casserole mixture.
- Sprinkle some extra cheese on top of the butter.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for the first 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and slightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy warm!
*This dish can be prepped ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you're ready to bake it! It keeps really well, making it perfect to make ahead and make your holiday cooking easier.