Guys, if you have not tried dumplings with a crispy skirt, you are missing out! Oh my LORT! I just discovered this and it is amazing! It’s pretty simple to do, all you need is flour and water to make the crispy lattice skirt.
I make frozen dumplings often because it’s just so easy to cook as a quick snack. I’ve been looking for ways to change it up a bit and this crispy skirt is everything! The lattice skirt gives an extra crunch to every bite. Try it for yourself, you’ll see what I’m talking about!
What you need:
- Dumplings or potstickers
- these can be frozen or fresh, I used frozen dumplings for this recipe.
- Cooking oil
- any neutral oil will work for this
- All purpose flour
How to make the crispy skirt for dumplings:
- Pan fry the dumplings. On a small nonstick pan, add about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Bring the pan to medium heat and arrange your frozen/fresh dumplings in a spiral pattern. Leave a little space in between each dumpling so that they don’t stick to each other as they cook.
- I used about 6-8 small frozen dumplings
- Let them cook for about 3-5 minutes. Allow the bottoms of the dumplings to sear to a golden brown, the cooking times may vary depending on the size and type of dumplings you use.
- Make the flour slurry for the crispy skirt. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tsp of all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of water.
- Pour the flour slurry over the dumplings in the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and let the dumplings steam cook for about 3 more minutes.
- The slurry will continue to thicken and cook, creating a delicate but crispy lattice skirt.
- You’ll find that the dumpling skin will turn translucent as well
- Remove the lid and cook off any residual water for about 4-5 minutes. The skirt should start forming into a lacey, lattice pattern and become golden brown.
- Once the edges of the skirt start lifting from the pan, it is ready to plate!
- Plate the dumplings by using a plate that is slightly bigger than the size of the pan. Cover the top of the pan and flip the pan over. Enjoy the dumplings with a soy dipping sauce or some chili oil!
Crispy Skirt Dumplings
- 6-inch nonstick pan
- 6-8 frozen/fresh dumplings
- 1 tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- Add a drizzle of cooking oil to a nonstick pan. Arrange dumplings bottom-side down, in a spiral shape, onto the nonstick pan and bring to a medium-high heat. Make sure the dumplings have enough space in between so they don’t stick. Allow the dumplings to cook about 3 minutes or until the dumpling bottoms start turning golden.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Pour this slurry into the nonstick pan and cover with a lid. Let the dumplings steam cook for another 3 minutes or until the dumplings start looking translucent. The flour slurry should thicken.
- Remove the lid and cook off the rest of the water for another 4-5 minutes. The skirt should start to form and become a golden brown. Once the skirt starts lifting off the pan, it is done and ready to plate!
- Using a plate that is slightly bigger than the pan, cover the top of the pan and carefully flip the pan over. Drizzle some chili oil over your dumplings and enjoy your crispy skirt!