Dong Geu Rami Kimbap is from the Netflix show, ‘Extraordinary Attorney Woo’. Unlike traditional kimbap which is usually rolled, this one is in a square wrap. The ingredients are simple — rice, kimchi, and a fried egg, but together this recipe is so comforting and delicious!
What is Kimbap?
Kimbap literally means ‘seaweed rice’, because it is made with cooked rice and ingredients such as vegetables, meats, and fish cake, then rolled in gim (nori sheet). Kimbap is very similar to a California roll but with different ingredients.
What you’ll need to make Dong Geu Rami Kimbap:
- Kimchi: this can be found at any Korean market such as H mart. I have even seen Kimchi at my local Costco.
- Cooked white rice: any kind of rice works, but I recommend white rice for this recipe.
- Fried egg: cooked to your preference, but I recommend cooking over easy.
- Nori sheet (seaweed): make sure you are using full sheet size.
How to make Dong Geu Rami Kimbap:
In a small pan, add your sesame oil, kimchi, and sugar. Saute over medium heat to caramelize the kimchi until it is translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
In another pan, fry an egg to your preference. I recommend cooking the egg over easy for this recipe.
To assemble, fold your nori sheet in half, then fold in half again to create four equal squares. Unfold the nori and make a cut in between the bottom two squares.
Spread a thin layer of cooked rice on the bottom two squares and assemble your egg and caramelized kimchi in the remaining top two squares. In clockwise, fold each square over, starting from the bottom left into a square wrap.
Other delicious recipes you may like:
- Mayak Eggs (Korean Marinated Eggs)
- Rice Paper Flower Chips
- Miso Garlic Bread
- Pineapple Bun Toast
- Sodduk Sodduk (Korean Rice Cake & Sausage Skewers) with Gochujang Aioli
- ¼ cup Kimchi
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- ½ cup White rice, cooked
- 1 full sheet of Nori (dried seaweed sheet)
- Heat a small pan over medium heat, and add the sesame oil, kimchi, and sugar. Saute the kimchi to caramelize until it is translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Once done, take the kimchi off the heat and set it aside.
- In another pan, fry an egg to your preference. I recommend cooking the egg over easy for this recipe.
- To assemble: fold the sheet of nor in half, then fold it in half once more (you should have a square) to create four equal-sized squares. Unfold the nori sheet and make a cut in between the bottom two squares.
- Spread a thin layer of cooked rice on the bottom two squares. Place your fried egg and caramelized kimchi on the top two remaining squares. In a clockwise direction, fold each square over, starting from the bottom left into a square wrap.
- Cut in half and enjoy!