An Asian twist on the classic childhood snack! It’s sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy, and a bit of umami— basically, everything you’d want in a snack. These furikake rice krispies are so delicious, everyone’s going to be reaching for these!
What is Furikake?
Furikake is a Japanese rice seasoning typically made with sesame seeds, nori flakes, katsuobushi (dried fish), sugar, and salt.
It’s packed with so much umami and flavor, making it perfect to sprinkle on steamed rice, noodles, or even popcorn (if you’re familiar with Hawaiian Hurrican popcorn).
What you’ll need:
- Rice Krispy cereal: an essential ingredient for these rice krispies, but feel free to get any brand of rice cereal!
- Furikake rice seasoning: another quintessential ingredient! There are several different kinds of furikake, but mine has sesame seeds, nori flakes, katsuobushi (dried fish flakes), sugar, and salt.
- Unsalted butter: I decided to use unsalted butter since my furikake already includes salt.
- Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows are the way to go with this, it melts faster and more evenly in my humble opinion!
How to make Furikake Rice Krispies:
- Melt the butter on low heat and add the furikake rice seasoning. Simmer on low heat for about a minute. Infusing the butter and furikake in this step is GAMECHANGER. It results in very flavorful rice krispies!
- Mix in the mini marshmallows and continue to melt on low heat, we don’t want to burn the marshmallows.
- Add the rice cereal and stir to mix evenly
- Add a bit more mini marshmallows while it’s still warm
- Transfer the mixture to a dish and press down to create a flat layer
- Chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes before cutting to bars
Watch how to make these Furikake Rice Krispies
More Favorite Snack Recipes
- Pumpkin Black Sesame Mochi Bars
- Rice Paper Flower Chips
- Sodduk Sodduk (Korean Rice Cake & Sausage Skewers) with Gochujang Aioli
- Strawberry Tanghulu
- TikTok Custard Yogurt Toast
I hope you enjoy these Furikake Rice Krispies! Please leave me a star rating and comment to let me know your thoughts! Happy cooking, xoxo!!
- 3 tablespoons furikake rice seasoning, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 6½ cups Rice Krispy cereal
- Prepare an 8" x 10" pan by lining it with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter on low heat and add the furikake rice seasoning. Simmer on low heat for about a minute. Allow the furikake to steep and infuse the butter.
- Add 5 cups of mini marshmallows to the melted butter and continue to melt on low heat. **Reserve 1 cup of the marshmallows to add in later to create extra gooey rice krispies**
- Add the rice cereal to the melted marshmallow and stir to mix evenly. Turn off the heat.
- Add the remaining mini marshmallows while the rice krispy mixture is still warm. Stir just until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared dish and press down with a silicone spatula to create a flat layer. Sprinkle the top with extra furikake rice seasoning.
- Chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes before cutting to bars. Enjoy!