This is a refreshing summer punch made with milk, lemon-lime soda, and a combination of watermelon and other summer fruits!
What is Hwachae?
Hwachae 화체 means punch in Korean. This summertime punch can be made with various kinds of fruits but is most commonly made with watermelon.
My grandma used to make this for my sisters and me all the time in the summer as kids. I have such fond memories of helping my grandma make it by opening and draining cans of cocktail fruit to add to the punch. Mainly because fruit was so expensive and we would eat this at least 3x a week in the summers.
What you’ll need to make Hwachae:
- Half a chilled watermelon: I like to use a melon-baller tool to scoop out the watermelon flesh and use the watermelon as a punch bowl.
- Milk: This is recommended to add a creaminess to the punch. You can use plant-based milk or even strawberry milk for extra yummy flavor. If you can find Milkis at your local Asian market, I highly recommend using this in place of milk!
- Lemon-lime soda: Chilsung cider is most commonly used in Korea, but can be easily substituted with Sprite or Sierra Mist.
- Fruits: canned fruit cocktail is usually used for hwachae because of its sweetness from being soaked in the sugary syrup. However, I like to use fresh fruits such as berries and sometimes honeydew melon.
- Ice: only if the ingredients are not chilled.
How to make Hwachae:
- Scoop out the watermelon. Cut the watermelon in half. Using a melon baller tool or spoon, scoop out the watermelon flesh and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Make the punch. Add the lemon-lime soda, milk, blackberries, dragonfruit, and ice to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy the watermelon punch in the empty watermelon skin or in a bowl.
Watch how to make this Hwachae
More Favorite Recipes!
- Pumpkin Mochi Brownies
- Pumpkin Black Sesame Mochi Bars
- Bourbon Peach Icebox Cake
- No Churn Sweet Corn Ice Cream
- Mango Sticky Rice
- Pineapple Bun Toast
- Bananas Brûlée with Affogato
- TikTok Custard Yogurt Toast
I hope you enjoy this recipe for hwachae! Please leave me a star rating and comment to let me know your thoughts! Happy cooking, xoxo!!
- ½ of a watermelon, chilled
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups lemon-lime soda
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 dragonfruit
- ½ cup ice
- Cut the watermelon in half. Using a melon baller tool or spoon, scoop out the watermelon flesh and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the lemon-lime soda, milk, mixed berries, and ice to the watermelon.
- Stir to combine. Transfer the watermelon punch to the empty watermelon skin or serve in bowls. Enjoy!