Kimchi fried rice is one of my favorite dishes to make, it’s so easy yet always turns out delicious. I personally like to add Spam to mine, but you can use chicken, ground beef, ground pork— or have yours without meat altogether!
A new way I have been enjoying my kimchi fried rice is with corn cheese. What is corn cheese? Korean corn cheese is a side dish/appetizer that is usually offered at Korean BBQ restaurants and made up of sweet corn kernels, mayo, mild shredded cheese, and sometimes diced onions. It’s gooey, cheesy, and slightly sweet from the corn.
The cheesy goodness of corn cheese pairs perfectly with the spicy, savory flavors of the kimchi fried rice. It’s basically a match made in heaven.
Other Korean recipes you may like:
- 10 Minute Kimchi-Jjigae (Korean Kimchi Stew)
- Crispy Korean Potato Pancakes (Gamja-jeon)
- One-Pan Shrimp Fried Rice
- Crispy Seaweed-Wrapped Tofu
- Garlic Udon Noodles
Kimchi Fried Rice with Corn Cheese
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 stalks Green onion chopped
- ½ can Spam diced (optional)
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 1 cup Kimchi chopped
- 2 cup White rice cooked and chilled
- 1 tbsp Mayo
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tbsp Gochugaru (Korean Chili Pepper Flakes)
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup Sweet corn kernels cooked
- In a skillet/pan, heat the sesame oil on medium heat. Add the chopped green onion and cook until fragrant.
- Add the diced Spam, chopped kimchi, mirin, and stir to combine. Saute for 1-2 minutes or until the Spam gets golden and crispy.
- Add the gochugaru, sugar, rice, and mayo. Stir to combine well. Turn off the heat and transfer the kimchi fried rice to a bowl. Make sure to pack it tightly so we can create a nice dome.
- Using a different skillet, place it over the bowl of kimchi fried rice so that the bottom of the skillet faces you. While holding both the skillet and bowl of fried rice, carefully flip the skillet over so that the bottom of the bowl is now facing you. Gently tap the bottom of the bowl to release the packed fried rice. Carefully lift the bowl off. You should have a nice little dome in the middle of the skillet.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese and corn kernels around the sides of kimchi fried rice dome to create a corn cheese border. Cover the skillet and cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes, or until the cheese and melted.
- Enjoy immediately!