This homemade miso caramel sauce is gooey, salty, and sweet, with the perfect amount of umami! It will level up any dessert, breakfast, or even coffee drinks.
Miso in caramel sauce?! I know it can sound a little weird, but don’t knock it until you try it! Adding white miso paste to this caramel sauce really elevates the usual caramel flavor we’re used to. Think salted caramel, but 10x better!
You can drizzle this caramel sauce over ice cream, pies, over a slice of cake, OR swirl it around your cup before you make your iced latte, OR dip some apple slices into the sauce!
What is Miso?
Miso is a staple ingredient in most Japanese cooking. It’s a fermented paste made from soybeans, a grain (such as rice), koji (a mold), and salt. It can be fermented anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, which yields different varieties and textures.
For this recipe, I used white miso paste, which is the mildest and sweetest in flavor. The texture is almost like peanut butter. White miso can be used in baking, like my Small Batch Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies or Miso White Chocolate Chip Cookies!
What you’ll need to make this Miso Caramel Sauce:
- White sugar
- White miso paste
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy Cream
How to make homemade Miso Caramel Sauce:
This miso caramel sauce is SUPER easy, seriously anyone can make this.
- In a pot, melt the sugar with water and allow it to simmer and thicken.
- Next, add your cubed butter and whisk to combine.
- Add the white miso paste and heavy cream, whisking to create a smooth, gooey, caramel sauce.
That’s it! I like to make a batch of this recipe and store it in my fridge so I can use it throughout the week.
FAQs & Tips:
Store the miso caramel sauce in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 1 month or freeze it in an ice cube tray for up to 3 months to pop out small portions to thaw before using!
1. Drizzle it over your hot/iced lattes to elevate your usual coffee drinks.
2. Baking a cake? Add it your buttercream icing to create a salted caramel-like flavor!
3. Drizzle it over cupcakes, cakes, or other desserts.
4. Use it as a dip with slices of apple.
Watch how to make this Miso Caramel Sauce
More Favorite Miso Recipes
- Small Batch Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Miso Garlic Baked Potato Wedges
- Miso Garlic Bread
- Miso Brown Butter
- Miso White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- In a small pot, cook the sugar and water on medium heat until it becomes a light brown, think amber ale color.
- Add your cubed butter and miso paste and whisk until combined.
- Next, add the heavy cream and whisk until combined and thickened.
That looks amazing! Making my mouth water 🤤🤤🤤
Thank you Sharon! I hope you like it 😉
Comments are closed.