I saw a few people make this on TikTok and wanted to try it for myself! This was super easy to make and only takes 2 ingredients— rice paper and cooked rice. It tasted super crunchy, but it was also so mesmerizing watching them puff up as they deep fry.
I used some leftover purple rice I had in the fridge for my rice paper flower center. You can also use cooked white rice mixed with turmeric powder for yellow-colored rice or even paprika powder to make red-colored rice.
What you’ll need to make Rice Paper Flower Chips:
- Rice paper
- Cooked rice
- Oil (for frying)
How to make rice paper flower chips at home:
First, we will need to cut 3 different sized circles (large, medium, and small), there are no specific measurements for the size of the circles. I just eyeballed the sizes and cut them.
Make 4 cuts around each circle, this will create the petals as they fry.
On a clean surface, lay the largest circle down and place a pinch of cooked rice in the center. Then lay down the medium-sized circle on top of the largest circle, pressing down on the center to get them to stick. Add another pinch of cooked rice to the center of the medium-sized circle and layer the smallest circle and press down.
Heat oil on medium-high heat to 350ºF and carefully drop in the rice paper flowers. They will puff up really quick, they are done when they float.
Sprinkle some flakey salt and enjoy!
Other quick recipes you may like:
- Miso Garlic Bread
- TikTok Custard Yogurt Toast
- Kimchi Cheese Quesadilla
- Easy Bulgogi Chicken Bowl
- Garlic Udon Noodles
- 9 sheets of Rice paper
- 2 tablespoons Rice, cooked
- 3 cups Neutral oil, for frying
- Cut 3 large circles, 3 medium-sized circles, and 3 small circles. I did not use any specific measurements for the size of the circles.
- Make 4 cuts around each circle, this will create the petals as they fry. (See video tutorial above)
- On a clean surface, lay the largest rice paper circle and place a pinch of cooked rice in the center of the circle. Then lay a medium-sized circle on top and press down on the center. Add some more rice to the center of the medium-sized circle and place the smallest rice paper circle on top and press down on the center. Repeat these steps for the remaining circles.
- Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat to 350ºF. Carefully drop in the rice paper flowers into the hot oil. They will puff up quickly, about 3-5 seconds. They are done when they start to float. Remove from the oil, and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle some flakey salt and enjoy this crunchy snack!